Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Malware email warning

Things like the e-mail with my address as the sender get deleted straight off! I get some e-mails that I can't identify, so send a standard "please resend with my name in the subject box." Mostly I don't get a reply, but once in a while I'll get something like "Jane it's me, XXXXX, I’m using my son’s computer in Australia, you plonker!” A couple of times I've had mails with subjects that don't sound right for the person. Usually they ARE when someone’s been hacked, but once in a while it's a "Short term memory problem? We were talking about this just two weeks ago...."

My father, when he had the time, hit on a wonderful way of dealing with telephone cold callers. He’d ask the caller, man or woman, to repeat bits, then to go through the spiel again, and maybe even again. When they thought they’d got him hooked and he was interested in new windows/having the house painted/buying a time share or whatever, he’d say, quite untruthfully, “Oh no; I had new windows last year/the house is being stone clad next week/we have an apartment in the Algarve; but you have SUCH a beautiful speaking voice that I really enjoyed listening to you. Thank you so much.” It was usually the other end that disconnected, but his cold calls dried up as well after not very long.

Another thing he did when the voice was recognisably Asian was to ask where they were calling from and tell them he’d been there during and after the war, even when they tried to pretend they were in Bradford. He had genuinely been in India and spoke a little Urdu, so sometimes he did get these poor people off their guard. I’m not as polite and once, in the UK, told one young man that if he wanted A Career in Telesales (OK, so I might have been just a tad sarcastic) it would probably help him to invest in elocution lessons. I couldn’t understand his gabbled estuary English.

I do feel a bit sorry for the people who can get no other job. I worked in Human Resources for a large UK Insurance company based in Bromley (south east London). It didn’t do cold calling; it was one with a freephone number to get a quote. It seemed such a soulless job sitting at a screen, wearing a headset and answering call after call with the same old script time after time. Employees had to take a break from the computer screen every so often, and be away from it for at least hour: this was strictly monitored from their logging in and out. On the walls in the sales floors were screens indicating the number of calls being answered AND the number of calls waiting: ideally there should have been none and the goal was that all calls were answered within five rings: it was VERY high pressure. But, the job situation being what it was, when there was a recruitment drive for telesales there’d be about 50 applicants for every job and the HR team spent hours sifting through the CVs to weed out the worst and select people for interview. So many people were desperate for work. They preferred this company that didn’t cold call because at least the people they spoke to had initiated the call. This was over 18 years ago; the company was bought up by a bigger giant a little while ago so it’s probably all changed!

I get cold calls here: a bit annoying as I have my phone through my Internet provider and they don’t offer the blocking service that France Telecom do. I have caller display so tend just not to answer any call where the number is secret or begins with 09. 09 is when the call is generated from a computer, but a few times a friend has called from their computer. They, though, usually leave a message with the answer service.

Jane

Quote Originally Posted by Janelise View Post
    My father, when he had the time, hit on a wonderful way of dealing with telephone cold callers. Hed ask the caller, man or woman, to repeat bits, then to go through the spiel again, and maybe even again. When they thought theyd got him hooked and he was interested in new windows/having the house painted/buying a time share or whatever, hed say, quite untruthfully, Oh no; I had new windows last year/the house is being stone clad next week/we have an apartment in the Algarve; but you have SUCH a beautiful speaking voice that I really enjoyed listening to you. Thank you so much. It was usually the other end that disconnected, but his cold calls dried up as well after not very long.
    Jane
    Not long after my brother moved into a brand new property he started receiving calls from a double glazing company trying to sell him new windows. Time and again he would tell them that the property was only recently built and did not require new windows. One day a cold caller went through all the same spiel and my brother again said that he did not need new windows. The caller then said that the company also installs conservatories and offered to send a rep along for a free quote. Getting fed up with all this banter my brother agreed and said that he would be willing to get a free quote. The rep got a total shock when he turned up at my brother's property and found that it was a first floor flat!!!!
    Dennis

I read a good idea.... If bothered by cold callers ..borrow a three year old child, grandchild or friends kid, give THEM the phone and tell them it's Father Christmas on the line.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Its a sneaky bit of code. What it does is turn off user account control, so any other bit of kit they try to send you installs itself un-announced by windows.
    Thanks, Neil
    Click this line to see Alfie's Picasa web photo albums

Click this line to see Alfie's You Tube videos
    Mark, and my Blen - Lexie DOB 7/07/11, and my B/T - Katie DOB 01/12/12

I've been getting calls every day for about a week from the Neisen opinion survey people. The first couple times I let it ring until the machine picked up and they hung up. I got tired of the ringing though--they call at dinner time--so I've started grabbing the phone, pushing "talk", then "end." Basically hanging up on them without saying a word. But they keep calling.

6. Default

I never thought to ask if there were any more at home like you, Dennis!!
    Sheena Stevens