Thread: Preparing Elton for a new puppy

Blog Entries

Default Preparing Elton for a new puppy

I have been having trouble logging in and viewing the forum so I had some questions that I never posted here

My mom and step father are getting a new cavalier puppy. I saw them the day they talked to the breeder and decided that this puppy (who recommended breeder and forum member thanks) is the perfect addition to make the long journey to see. I can not begin to describe the feeling I had when I stepped into the once lonely house which was now full of excitement. My mother's face was beaming and it melted my heart. She showed me books she had already bought (generic ones I had) and was talking baby talk to my Cavalier Elton. She had raided my room already looking for old things of Ella's and Elton's telling me she wanted this and how cute that was. It was a different world but I am so happy for them and I know they will provide a very good home for Beau (name they want to change from Buddy).

Anyway, Elton has had some behavior issues in the past including anxiety and guarding. I do not live with my parents but I am an hour away and visit often. I would really like help from breeders (and others) on how I can help prepare him when he first meets Beau. I heard the breeder is and has been very active in training and will probably give my parents tips, but I would like to know on my end just in case. I have worked on his socialization and it isn't a problem now but still not something I have to keep in mind.

Any tips for me or links would be so helpful.

Thanks!
    Anne Singleton
    Proud owner of my munchkin Elton (blenheim) and
    angel ella who lives in my heart forever
    Charlotte NC

On a boat, out there, operating without any decent restraint, well Notts

Quote Originally Posted by ellabella View Post
    Any tips for me or links would be so helpful.

Thanks!
    Time and softly softly. Thats all. When the two scamps arrived, Anna was having none of it. Snapping, barking and generally being a moaning diva. I rang Linda with my concerns and she just laughed. "She'll come around" - and she did. Couple of months and things were hunky dory. All I did was keep them separate when breakfast or dinner was served and gradually introduced feeding together.

Best of luck, but I'm sure you will be fine!

Blog Entries

Thanks Neil! I think it will take time but in the meantime the breeder gave me excellent advice, keep Elton away (slightly joking). My main concern is for Beau (my parents new puppy they are picking up tomorrow) . She said she wouldn't want Elton around the first week so that Beau can get adjusted. I want him (beau) to have time to adjust too. Eventually they will have to meet because I'm close to my parents and Elton is usually with me. She suggested meeting on "neutral" ground like a walk, then have beau enter the house first. He needs to know its his turf. I wouldn't have another cavalier with Elton even though he is much more socialized but I want to make sure he is ok around the new puppy.
    Anne Singleton
    Charlotte NC

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Time and softly softly. Thats all. When the two scamps arrived, Anna was having none of it. Snapping, barking and generally being a moaning diva. I rang Linda with my concerns and she just laughed. "She'll come around" - and she did. Couple of months and things were hunky dory. All I did was keep them separate when breakfast or dinner was served and gradually introduced feeding together.

Best of luck, but I'm sure you will be fine!
    So is it normal for an older dog to snap or let a puppy know they don't like something? Elton did meet Beau and was fine but Beau is a puppy. Being a puppy he was jumping on Elton and trying to play. Elton did not like this and let him know by snapping at Beau. He didn't bite him or anything but I didn't know if this was normal.

So is
    Anne Singleton
    Charlotte NC

Quote Originally Posted by ellabella View Post
    So is it normal for an older dog to snap or let a puppy know they don't like something? Elton did meet Beau and was fine but Beau is a puppy. Being a puppy he was jumping on Elton and trying to play. Elton did not like this and let him know by snapping at Beau. He didn't bite him or anything but I didn't know if this was normal.

So is
    Yes it's very normal. Puppies have a sort of "license" with older dogs for bad behavior. When it gets too much or the older dog thinks the pup should have learned by now, the older will put the younger in its place. Do keep a close watch though to protect all concerned. it's really best to let the dogs sort it out but I have intervened when puppies get too boisterous with an old one, or when I'm afraid the older one's restraint is wearing thin and I'm not trusting it completely. Since Elton has resource issues, be sure to separate them when feeding and watch carefully when treats and toys are being given. And be sure to share some pictures!

As long as Elton is not overdoing his correction, these are very valuable lessons for the puppy to be learning!
    Alisha
    &
    Coco

Also if the puppy gets overwhelmed or frightened by a correction from Elton, it is equally important not to coddle the pup too much or he will think you are praising him for being frightened, which will not help build his confidence. It is important to provide the puppy comfort and support, but not to be terribly over-reactive if something safe, but scary, happens. It is a game of finding the right balance of interfering and not interfering
    Alisha
    &
    Coco