Thread: Leasing a Bitch

Default Leasing a Bitch

Has anyone ever leased a bitch before? If yes, what arrangements did you make for the parties involved? Curious to hear be cause I have someone interested in leasing my Coco.

I co-own Coco currently and owe a puppy back to her breeder (lets call her Pat), 2nd pick in this litter or 1st pick in the next litter (so there's a chance they may not take a puppy back this time around). Once a puppy is returned to Pat then Coco is signed over to me. The person that wants to lease my girl (lets call her Susan) wants to keep 1st pick, register it in her affix with her as the breeder, and also sell the rest of the litter minus the 2nd pick which goes to me or my breeder.

I am worried if this is not fair enough for me, because if Pat ends up taking a puppy, I am left with NOTHING! What is fair here? Should I ask for a fee up front plus the 2nd puppy? Should I ask for 2 puppies back so that Pat and I both would end up getting one? I don't want to be greedy and screw Susan over, but I also don't want to get left with nothing. Someone suggested a fee up front, plus another small fee per puppy born?

On top of this all, there are so many "what ifs" to figure out... what if there's only 2 puppies? We agreed if 1 or 0 puppies we would redo the breeding. Hoping for good advice!

I forgot to add that the reason I am attracted to this idea is because Coco's puppies would get to stay home with Susan who is home 24/7 so I would not need to worry about making arrangements between work and taking care of my new baby (now 4 months old!). I also don't want to keep waiting to breed Coco for health reasons. I know some have waited until a bitch is 4 years old for the first litter.... but I see this as perhaps a good opportunity. I am NOT doing this for the sole purpose of trying to make a buck. I want what is best for the future puppies and for Coco.

Thanks
    Last edited by Coco; 08-09-2013 at 08:53 AM. Reason: more info
    Alisha
    &
    Coco

While it is very flattering that someone is interested in your bitch, my advice to you would be, leave it alone! Alternatively,I would suggest that you discuss this very carefully with your bitch's co-owner, and, if you did decide to go ahead, it would be wise to draw up a written contract.
    In UK, it is not usual in a lease situation, for the lessee to add her affix, unless by prior permission.
    Tread carefully here, would be my advice Alisha.
    Elspeth

I'm with Elspeth here ... I'd have to know someone extremely well to let them have one of my bitches under this sort of an arrangement, and even then I truthfully don't think I'd be happy. What does your co-owner say?
    Sheena Stevens

This is not something I know much about, but surely if you already have Coco on a co-ownership, you couldn’t then lease her to someone else.

Frankly, I wouldn’t want to do it: I’d far prefer any puppies to be MY choice so you would effectively have TWO litters where you didn't have a choice. If Coco turned out to be not prolific you, as you said, would have nothing.

I can understand that it’s tempting to have someone else looking after the puppies. My personal opinion would be, though, that it would be better to wait until you are in a better position to take care of them yourself, or make suitable arrangements.

I bitterly regret that I once let myself be persuaded to sell a bitch puppy from a first litter, as her mother’s two subsequent litters contained only dogs, then she suffered a pyo and had to be spayed.

Under the rules here, the person who leased the dog could only add their affix if the owner(s) of the bitch and the lessee sign an “abandon de portée” form; which basically means the owner of the bitch renounces all rights to the puppies.

Jane

(In the US) when you lease a bitch, the bitch is then owned by the lessor. All puppies belong to the lessee and are registered under their affix. That's all I know about it, it's more involved than that. Your bitch lives with someone else for the duration usually from breeding to the time the puppies no longer need her. Do you want to be away from Coco for that long? Do you want to give up a litter of your own from Coco? How many litters do you think she can safely have in her lifetime? What if something happens to Coco while she's away from you? I'm not suggesting any answers, just posing questions for you to think about. Leasing a bitch is only possible in the AKC, not the CKCSC,USA, so if Coco is registered in both, you would have to research how to stay out of trouble with the club.
    Sue

Susan Shidler
    AKC Breeder of Merit
    SevenWoods Cavaliers
    Mettawa, IL USA

Thumbs down This could be a minefield !

Alisha, I wouldn't get into this sort of arrangement even if my life depended upon it !

I think you already have enough imponderables to deal with.

Be patient, everything will work out okay
    Jenny at Erinport
    Where Excellence Without Exaggeration Counts

I agree totally with Jenny, this could indeed be a minefield with so many ifs and buts. Having a bitch on breeding terms is OK if a proper written agreement is arranged from the outset, but the idea of leasing sounds horrendous to me. Tina and I have never been at all interested in breeding terms; there's nothing wrong with it, it just doesn't suit us. But leasing a bitch! . . . . . no way!!! Perhaps I'm a softy, but my dogs are part of the family and there's no way that I'd let one go on lease to someone.
    Dennis

Thank you everyone I so appreciate your input! I have been feeling uneasy about the situation to be honest, that is why I came here to get some advice, because I know it is nothing but the best here.

I will stick with my original plan to whelp and raise a litter myself, I need to learn to do it at some point! Lucky for me, in my local club I have so many people that live close to me and they all want to help and support me with Coco's first litter, so I am not worried about my ability to raise a litter. I was more attracted to the idea that this way I wouldn't have to worry about making arrangements - although that is a pro, the cons outweigh the pro in the leasing situation by far. I had been having trouble coming up with a good contract to protect myself and Coco, and the trouble it has been causing me should have been the sign right there that this is not a good idea.

Thanks for the wake up call everyone, you are all great
    Alisha
    &
    Coco

Unhappy

I leased a bitch from someone last year. It was their idea. Mostly I think because I was using my boy. We did not put things on paper as she was my friend/local mentor. In the end she got the better bitch and I got bills and was not able to keep anything. So being on the other end as the person who leased the bitch...I will not do that again any time soon.