Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Puppy buying advice from KC

Question Puppy buying advice from KC

Did you know that the week 7th to 14th September is puppy buying awareness week. Funny how they waited until Thursday to start sharing this video on Facebook

Wonder how long it will take the KC to ask the Government to ban the sale of dogs at pet shops and internet

Click this line to see Alfie's Picasa web photo albums

Click this line to see Alfie's You Tube videos
    Mark, and my Blen - Lexie DOB 7/07/11, and my B/T - Katie DOB 01/12/12

Funny you mention it, because just recently a bill in the US came out banning the sale of dogs on the internet "sight unseen"

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_wel...w/awlicreg.pdf

I actually went ahead and made a new thread in "Current Discussion" about the link I posted above, so as to not side track from this thread.
    Last edited by Coco; 09-13-2013 at 02:34 AM. Reason: Made a new thread.
    Alisha
    &
    Coco

Actually I think the KC has a bit of a cheek, they should put their house in order. I was horrified by some of the entries in the last Breed Record Supplement ,the KC were registering litters from very obvious Puppy Farmers .Still why should I be surprised it's never been any different.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbara H View Post
    Actually I think the KC has a bit of a cheek, they should put their house in order. I was horrified by some of the entries in the last Breed Record Supplement ,the KC were registering litters from very obvious Puppy Farmers
    So true Barbara... What an eye opener.... and it can only get worse. Many decent, caring breeders have thrown in the towel, and their place has been filled with these unknown puppy producers who are breeding 6, 7, or in one case NINE LITTERS within a 12 week period. Not one has a recognisable Affix, with Recorded names that scream puppy farmed animals, but ALL can proudly boast KC Registration papers.

Breeding Cavaliers has gone in exactly the route we feared... and we have a small handful of fanatics to thank for this, some of whom will be reading every word written here. I feel nothing but utter hatred toward them for what they have done to our beautiful breed.

Kind regards,
    Veronica.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbara H View Post
    Actually I think the KC has a bit of a cheek, they should put their house in order. I was horrified by some of the entries in the last Breed Record Supplement ,the KC were registering litters from very obvious Puppy Farmers .Still why should I be surprised it's never been any different.
    Hi Barbara,
    On 27th August you posted here on Cavalier Chat the case of a bitch born on 22/5/11 who had her first litter on 26/7/12 and her second litter on 18/3/13 making two litters totalling 14 puppies before her 2nd Birthday. I am a member of the Assured Breeders Scheme, (although I often wonder why!) so I emailed the Kennel Club about this on 28th August and asked them why they are registering puppies from such breeders, particularly at a time when they are about to launch their so-called Puppy Awareness Week. Two and a half weeks have gone by and they haven't had the decency to send me a reply of even an acknowledgement. If I do get a reply I will post it here but please don't hold your breath!
    Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by Coco View Post
    Funny you mention it, because just recently a bill in the US came out banning the sale of dogs on the internet "sight unseen" ...
    That's not quite right. The "bill" actually is an amendment to an existing administrative rule issued by the US Department of Agriculture (USDA). It does not ban the sale of dogs sold on the Internet sight unseen. It requires that anyone who owns more than four intact female dogs and/or cats and/or other categories of pet animals must be licensed by the USDA in order to sell a puppy to a buyer who does not visit the breeder's premises to see the puppy. This would apply to Internet sales and telephone sales and mail sales -- to any sales if the breeder does not hand deliver the puppy to the buyer or the buyer's agent.

The USDA rule also requires that licensed breeders have a separate breeding facility, not in the home, that meets certain construction specifications, such as concrete floors. USDA also inspects the premises of licensed breeders regularly.
    Rod Russell

That is SO ridiculous! The law here is that there must be purpose built kennels for more than nine dogs, and that isn’t breeding bitches, it is all dogs, males, veterans and other breeds included. Many of the inspectors turn a blind eye for small breeds like ours, Miniature Dachshunds, Chihuahuas, Whippets, etc. My inspector said she didn't need to look further around my house, being satisfied with the rooms she saw: kitchen, dining room and sitting room. She also only checked the ID of four dogs; she chose them at random and used her microchip reader while I produced their pedigree certificates and ID registration cards for her to check the numbers. Explanation: the individual registration of a dog isn't done until it has been identified and its ID number appears on its pedigree registration certificate; both that and the ID registration form have to be correct, and the correct owner's name appear on the ID registration.

It may be more sensible if one were to breed something like Great Danes to have separate accommodation for them, or if one bred large numbers. Some people I knew in the UK who had Mastiffs, Great Danes and St Bernard’s all bred them in the house, although others had kennels.

The requirement for purpose built kennels is TOTALLY ridiculous for most small breeds, and don’t most houses have at least one concrete based floor??? All my downstairs rooms here are tiles on concrete and in the last house in the UK only the kitchen and hallway, which had a cellar beneath, were wood. They weren’t particularly pretty floorboards so we had them coated with vinyl tiles of the type used in hospitals and which could safely be steam cleaned. After Tom took early retirement, he worked for a while as a progress chaser for a building firm in the UK, and every single house on every site had brick foundations and a concrete raft.

Do people who dream up these “one size fits all” laws ever stop to consider the practicality or visit breeders?????? OK, there will always be exceptions (I can think of two) but most houses are likely to be more hygienic than kennels; dogs will not be allowed to defecate indoors, for a start!

Jane

Before you open the cover of the BRS you know WHO will have a large number of litters registered all by 1 or 2 stud dogs , no Affix .Dennis I hope you do get an explanation from the KC who claim to be the guardians of Pedigree dogs ,as you say we won't hold our breath but will wait in anticipation for their explanation !

1174682_296089463864509_1514245255_n[1].jpg

This is a notice from the Irish Dept Agriculture which appears to have been circulated to commercial breeders and rescues.
    Sins

Quote Originally Posted by Janelise View Post
    The requirement for purpose built kennels is TOTALLY ridiculous for most small breeds
    Depending on where you live in the UK Jane, the same applies. In my area any breeder who requires a licence HAS to have kennel facilities, whatever the breed. If the dogs live in the house the Officers from Health & Environment insist this is a 'Change Of Use' situation regarding living quarters for humans, and investigations are put into play accordingly.
    The kennels have to reach the standards set by the local authority, and if they don't, the licence which is reviewed annually is withdrawn. No licence is awarded until a full inspection has taken place, and that visit includes a Vet from outside your area, an Animal Welfare Officer, a Health and Environment Officer, the local Dog Warden, a fire officer, and a member from the local Council Authority. If any one of these inspectors has doubts or is unhappy, NO licence is awarded, and this whole procedure is repeated every year, so standards have to be kept high. They can call at anytime, but it's usually sometime between November and February.
    All breeding and vaccination records are checked .. fire extinguishers checked.. all dogs are checked, microchip numbers are compared with pedigree etc...all puppy sales records are checked, it takes literally hours. For the last 9 years I have not required a licence, but for many years I did, and at the time I had no issue with the system, (although I admit my dogs have never been kennelled so this state of the art, fully heated building with its own kitchen is still as good as new... mainly because its never been used )

The need for a licence use to be if more than two breedable bitches were kept ( which I have) .... but then it changed to breeders who produce more than 4 litters per year...(which I don't )

Kind regards,
    Veronica.