Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trying to find out as much as possible about breeding!

1. Default

As far as I remember, the chocolate gene surfaced in the US through a mixture of Kilspindie and Pargeter lines (both long gone affixes). If you've got his pedigree, have a look on www.worldpedigrees.com in CKCS, and enter some of the older generations in it - you can play around on the site and see what other litters his sire and dam have had, etc. etc.

You were lucky his breeder didn't describe him as one of the "designer dogs" Jane mentioned above, you wouldn't have paid less for him then!!! There was a breeder down in the south west some years back who was advertising a "very rare black and tan" and charging a fortune!
    Sheena Stevens

You've given us a clue about behaviour: you have another dog in the house, at least, I assume the Labrador is yours! It could be that Jakie is attention seeking.......

He looks to be a sort of choclate tricolour, as his body coat appears to be really black. SO interesting: did you get a copy of his pedigree???

thanks

Jane

deleted because I thought I hadn't posted and did another post with more information below
    Last edited by dozyrosy; 09-22-2013 at 08:47 PM.

Here are a couple.
    Dennis
    Attached Images Attached Images

I just had a look at Susan Cochran's site as she used to have some information and a number of photos of her chocolate Cavaliers, that I thought Jessica might like to see. But they (and her oldies pedigree pages) seem to have gone now which is a pity... but she has some brief information here. She was very interested in genetics and I believe that's why she bred them originally, but her site seems to be a bit more commercial now and she's currently selling a couple of chocolate puppies (both bitches).

Rosemary

PS I see Dennis has posted one of the photos I was looking for - have you got them saved?
    Last edited by dozyrosy; 09-22-2013 at 08:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dozyrosy View Post
    I just had a look at Susan Cochran's site as she used to have some information and a number of photos of her chocolate Cavaliers, that I thought Jessica might like to see. But they (and her oldies pedigree pages) seem to have gone now which is a pity
    I'm thinking this statement from Susan last week may be the reason for her website being changed Rosemary :

posted by Susan Cochran:: " One thing that has to happen is to downsize our breeding program. He and I have had long discussions on what to do and finally came to an agreement. I am going to concentrate on our Blenheims (we will continue with a few)...... and he is going to handle the placement of all the Chocolates"
    The 'HE' being referred to is Susan's husband who has always had a soft spot for 'Chocolate'..... ( me too.... 'Thorntons' being my number one choice of brand )

Kind regards,
    Veronica.
    Last edited by Veronica Hull; 09-23-2013 at 01:15 PM.