Thread: Help!!

Default Help!!

I have a boy just turned one.. And he can be a really good dog.. But I'm having trouble training him to go out to go to the toilet.. He never asks to go out he just sneaks of and does it where I can't see. He's just started weeing outside but still having trouble with number 2's were going to see a dog trainer on the 30tg.. But any advice would be much appreciated.. Also he won't come back when he's called he thinks it's a game.. He comes so far and then when I step towards him he runs of again.

Hi Jessica,

don't step towards him, run away from him. As you say, he thinks it's a game, but if you run away or ignore him he will fairly soon get bored or a little worried and come to you. If he still doesn't come, close the door and wait ten minutes, call him again and again shut the door if he doesn't come. When he does, reward him, whether by a cuddle or a small treat.

The house training is an odd one: Cavaliers are not generally very difficult to house train, and I find that generally dogs are quicker to be clean than bitches. It's the same thing, when he goes outside reward him by verbal praise and if you catch him doing it in the house, tell him off. By the fact that he "sneaks" it appears it may be that he has realised you don't like him doing it indoors, but hasn't quite made the connection that he needs to go out.

You don't say how old he was when you got him. I would revert to the training of a puppy, put him ouside everytime he wakes or after he's eaten, and watch until he does go, then praise him.

good luck

Jane

Thanks I will try that.. I had him when he was 10 weeks.. He was so good up until a few months ago.. With the calling back and he w do as he was told with anything.. Now he just doesn't listen at all.. The toilet thing has always been an issue though.. But thanks I'll try your advice

One of mine was a bit like that. He was really clean and then for no apparent reason did the business in the house It lasted about three weeks and I watched him like a hawk. Whenever he seemed to be looking for a quiet spot I rushed him outside and praised and rewarded him. It was just a blip in the journey and he has never done it since. At the time it was quite cold and I think he just didn't want to freeze his little tush I'm sure he will be fine if you go back to the puppy style training of praise and reward.
    Tracey

I've had six male Cavaliers and most of them have had a little blip in their toilet training when they've been 5-6 months old. Just for a short time they've needed a firmish reminder that outside is the place to go, and I've assumed that it must be a teenage rebellion/hormones sort of behaviour, and learned to watch out for possible relapses.

One of them (who with his brother was a summer pup) was used to going outside when I got them: they understood that they didn't "go" in any of the rooms we used, but Russie got a bit confused at one point and believed that it was OK to go in the dining room which we hadn't used since they arrived.

Rosemary

Some days he's really good.. Other days I'm forever cleaning up after him.. My dad kicked us out because of it.. We're back home now.. But it's like fighting a losing battle.. I'll open the door for him and if it's raining here won't go out and will sneak of to the bathroom to do it.. I wouldn't be surprised if I walked in one day and he was sitting on the toilet reading a newspaper.. I don't understand how he can be so smart.. If I make kissing noises he'll give me kisses and if he wants to get under the duvet he'll pat my shoulder.. But other ways be a complete doofus.. I have a counselling session with a local lady next week I'm hoping she will help us..

Hi Jessica,

You are giving us a lot more clues. You obviously bought him when living with at least your father, and, it appears from the photo, another dog. I assume you work, so possibly there were times when you weren’t at home to supervise Jakey and train him; maybe there was no-one home? If your father kicked you out, then Jakey’s routine was disrupted, and he is probably really quite confused. Did other family members (if any) have a hand in his training?

There are generally no simple solutions and it’s impossible to give meaningful advice without being aware of all the circumstances.

Don’t just open the door, go out with him and don’t go back in until he has performed, praising him a LOT when he does. It seems Jakey has an idea about the bathroom, which is interesting. I once took a kitten with me when visiting my parents and he couldn’t find his litter tray which was in a conservatory with the door shut. He went into the bathroom and squatted over the plughole in the bath to pee!

Also you said when Jakey wants to get under the duvet he pats your shoulder. HE is giving YOU a command: it really is not a good idea to let that happen; you need to be in charge. I personally don’t like dogs in the bed; I am the pack leader and my bed is my space, although of course they are allowed on the sofa. Others will disagree.

I hope you don’t mind me saying this: learn all you can about Cavaliers but don’t think of breeding until your personal circumstances are settled and you can be reasonably sure of being there to look after them through the first ten weeks of their lives. There is a LOT of work in looking after puppies and you need to be able to be there virtually 24/7.

Hopefully the counsellor will be able to observe you with him and pick up on what needs to be done.

Good luck,

Jane
    Last edited by Janelise; 09-24-2013 at 07:41 AM.