Thread: Looking for Pronunciation Help

Default Looking for Pronunciation Help

Hi everyone,

I'm an author looking for pronunciation help! In my novel, I briefly talk about the history of Cavalier King Charles Spaniels and the audio narrator of the book needs to know how to pronounce the names of the four ancestral dogs. We wanted to make sure we got it right. Specifically:

1) for Duce of Braemore, is it "duke" or "deuce"?

2) for Aristide of Ttiweh, I read that that's "Hewitt" reversed, so would it be something like "tee-way"?

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks!

Neve

Duce would be pronounced "deuce"

and Ttiweh - I've always pronounced it "Tee-wee" but others might pronouce it "Tee-way"

any offers?

Duce is, I think, Italian for duke, so it's just possible it could be pronounced doochay ... as in Il Duce ... the time period is about right ...
    Sheena Stevens

Agree with you Sheena on 'doochay'. I have always pronounced Ttiweh as teeway but have heard it pronounced twigh.
    Warm wishes,
    Ruth

I've always pronounced it tee wee, but I suppose strictly speaking it might be tee weh, hence the adaptation to tee way?
    Sheena Stevens

As it is a make up word...there is probably no proper pronunciation. TAY-WAY, TEE-WAY is two of the versions I use. Norma

Jane Bowdler would know Vera Preece pronounced it Tee Way, and as she was the first person I'd heard pronounce it, I copied her.

I'd have pronounced Duce as Deuce - if the rest of the name had been Italian I may have said Doochay, but "of Braemore" sounds a bit Scottish, and with his parents being Boniface of Braemore and Brocade of Braemore, would go for an English pronunciation. I don't imagine that Lady Fowler is around any longer, so we can't ask her.

Another affix: I'd always pronounced Pam Estcourt's affix “Al Em Ap”, seeing it a straight reversal of Pamela. Last time we saw her, when she was visiting her son here in France, she told us there were only a couple of her "Ale Map" Cavaliers still living.

My friend's brother, Stephen Bardwell, made his affix “Stewell”, thinking “Stee Well”, but found people pronounced it “Stew ell”, reminds me of Brian Sewell. As a friend said, better that than "Stew Well".

Jane

Thank you everyone for taking the time to reply! Much appreciated

It sounds like the way to go is probably Deuce and Tee-way -- I'll go ahead and pass that on to the book's narrator.

All my best,

Neve