Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: UK neurologist Dr. Peter M. Smith asks why syringomyelia surgeries are failures

Quote Originally Posted by bridgette View Post
    If this is the correct gentleman he appears more than qualified to his make his observations
    Some fresh perspective is EXACTLY what this breed needs.
    I don't question his resume or qualifications. I just want to know:

-- What has he done in the field of CM/SM research? (I have found no published CM/SM articles with his name attached.)

-- What is he doing about it now?

-- Why does he think CM decompression surgeries have been unsuccessful, in view of the proven relief the treated dogs have obtained? (He implies that all such surgeries have been failures, without explaining anything except that the syrinxes have not collapsed.)

-- What are his suggested new strategies aimed at preventing development of syrinxes?

-- What are his suggested means of achieving better understanding of the pain suffered by affected dogs?
    Rod Russell

Quote Originally Posted by RodRussell View Post

(I have found no published CM/SM articles with his name attached.)
    Perhaps this highly qualified neurosurgeon is actually DOING something rather than travelling the world TALKING about this subject. Could it be that he is not interested in making mega bucks out of SM? Or maybe he's not interested in making a name for himself ?

He has my interest that's for sure.... more power to him and his theories..... after all, 'theories and hypothesis' are all we've ever been offered in return for the thousands of £££££££££££££'s we've handed out to the 'experts' so far .... so why not give this expert some respect. He's not asking for 'funding' which is quite refreshing, and certainly makes a pleasant change.

Veronica.

Quote Originally Posted by Veronica Hull View Post
    Perhaps this highly qualified neurosurgeon is actually DOING something rather than travelling the world TALKING about this subject. Could it be that he is not interested in making mega bucks out of SM? Or maybe he's not interested in making a name for himself ? ...
    Perhaps? "Perhaps" could mean anything or nothing. He does not mention in his own bio that he is doing anything CM/SM-wise, or that he has done anything in that field. I'd just like to know what, if anything, he is doing to follow up on his own call for new strategies and approaches. He comes on quite strong in suggesting that the focus on morphology is simplistic and déclassé, and that decompression surgeries have not worked. It seems he should be following up with some substance of his own.
    Rod Russell

I'd just like to know what, if anything, he is doing to follow up on his own call for new strategies and approaches.
    You have his details, so what's stopping you from asking him all the questions you are desperate to know the answers to. Why ask here? Anyone who was really interested would go straight to the person concerned.

Veronica you beat me to it. Rod if you want to know the answers to your question ask direct. It's what we do !!!!
    Bridgette Evans
    Svena CKCS

Veronica you beat me to it. Rod if you want to know the answers to your question ask direct. It's what we do !!!!
    You apparently are assuming that I have not done so. I can walk AND chew gum at the same time. I can ask others who might know, as well as him.
    Rod Russell

and the answer is ?
    It's this gentleman whose remarks you question so why ask someone else ?
    Bridgette Evans
    Svena CKCS

and the answer is ?
    It's this gentleman whose remarks you question so why ask someone else ?
    I answered your question in my previous post. I want to know what others may know, too.
    Rod Russell

I want to know what others may know, too.

Don't we all
    Bridgette Evans
    Svena CKCS

The fact that there are no papers published, or at least, none in the public domain, need not imply that no work is being done.

Amazingly, there are people who are VERY reluctant to publish unless they are very sure that their results are significant, and also prefer not to publish if their work is ongoing. I have a little personal experience, as I was used for research; not for a neurological condition. The fellow doing the research told me she’d let me have her conclusions – not that I’d probably have understood, as it took her quite a while to explain what they wanted from me. I didn’t get any information, but for a very good reason: the research team could draw no conclusions worth publishing because there were too many variables.

I don’t really see the point of asking questions on this forum, nor do I see the point of posting the information on a web site if the owner of the website is unhappy with it

Jane