Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Puppy Announcement, and a Question

Default Puppy Announcement, and a Question

I am very pleased to announce the first litter from my girl Coco, here at LockeStar Cavaliers. Yes I finally chose an affix for myself and got it registered The sire is AKC CH Turretbank To Sir With Love, named Sidney, a gorgeous Black and Tan. And as you all know, my girl is also a Black and Tan. Here is a photo of Sidney:

Sidney1.jpg

Coco had just a single baby and her x-ray showed a good chance the puppy would struggle during delivery, as she was large, and breech. We did not want to risk the life of the puppy getting stuck during delivery and opted for a C-Setion, scheduled for 11/2. Here is the x-ray:

xray2.jpg

Well 11/2 came, and we had bad storms all over in my area. My vet clinic lost power the entire day, we had to cancel the section. On 11/3 Coco went into labor on her own! I luckily found another vet that was open and had power to do the operation, so we did not need to go to the ER. When we arrived, Coco's water broke, and she was taken to the back for the operation.

Then, our beautiful BLENHEIM little girl arrived!

Coco with puppy.jpgpup body.jpgpup face.jpg

Coco has recovered just fine, and baby is strong, nursing, and gaining weight. I am just head over heels in love with her. I am pleased with her markings too! Now for my question...

This is Coco's first litter, and I was very disappointed it ended with a c-section, but after consulting many other breeders and two different vets, not one of them recommended letting her try to deliver naturally. I am worried that because of it that she does not know what to do. Coco will not lick the puppy to help her go potty, so I have to do all the work. She is very aloof with the puppy, however, she allows her to crawl all over her and nurse without any problems. I have tried putting the puppy up to Coco's face, both bum and face first, Coco does not show any interest. I've puta little bit of peanut butter on the pup and she will lick that off - I was hoping that would help the instincts kick in, but doesn't look like it.

Is ther anything else I can do to help Coco get the idea she needs to lick her puppy?

Otherwise we are very excited and happy that we all came out of this ok.
    Alisha
    &
    Coco

Hi Alisha,

Congratulations on Coco’s baby – you must have been surprised that she is blenheim. How much did she weigh??

I may offend people here, but if Coco’s waters broke naturally why was she not given the chance to do a normal labour? I think that it may be a cultural thing: here a C section, human or canine, is only done if there is a very real chance of a problem: a bad presentation of baby/puppy or similar, or problem with the health of the mother. Coco’s puppy looks to have been in a good position in the X-ray.

I’ve had two single litters: Hazel, who was 14 lbs, delivered a single 318 gram; 11.25 ounces; puppy with very little effort. The other was a smaller puppy, 268 grams, 9.47 ounces, and again it was easy: in fact, Bijou gave birth in an armchair as she didn’t want to be in the whelping bed! When she chose her place I DID put lots of covers on, and, once Hula was safely suckling, Bijou was content to move to the whelping box. In both cases I had spoken to a GOOD vet, quarter of an hour away, but he basically said "well, call if there’s a problem, and I’ll meet you at the surgery".

Just my opinion, it is better for Mum to be at home in a familiar place, and to be first to have contact with her pup once it's born. If she gives birth naturally her hormones will all be in place and she will, usually, eat the afterbirth and that too seems to help her realise she has a baby to look after.

In over 30 years, but admittedly not a huge number of litters, the only C section I had was Ruth, a bitch I was looking after for someone who was in ill health. Ruth didn’t go into labour but I thought there was something wrong, and was correct: the vet argued she wasn’t ready to whelp until I demanded an examination, then he found a puppy stuck in the cervix: she had uterine inertia. When the section was done the vet told me Ruth had already had one section, and the two pups had been in the other horn of the uterus. The second pup was just alive but weak and would not suckle. I held her on but she just seemed too weak and Ruth wasn’t interested at all and kept trying to get away. We persevered for about48 hours and then the puppy died; I also suspected that she hadn't been kept properly warm at the vets as I heard her crying loudly when I collected Ruth, and the puppy wasn't warm to the touch. When I tucked her in my jumper she felt chilly, and I suspect she hadn't had the colostrum. I was not at all thrilled with the vet, a locum for a practice that has now closed: he was really a farm animal vet. I hadn’t been here long and didn’t really know that there were good small animal vets just half an hour away. It was an unpleasant experience, especially as, when told, the owner said in surprise “Oh, didn’t I tell you Ruth had uterine inertia before???” She had also lost her previous litter. Worried that if she went back to her breeder she’d be mated again; against the rules of the Breed club; Tom and I had Ruth spayed and kept her for the rest of her life.

I think with Coco you'll just have to be patient and continue to ensure that the puppy stays nice and warm and suckles well. If Coco is letting her milk down well that is a very good sign, but just think, her abdomen is probably pretty sore and she is probably more worried about that than her puppy!

Jane

congrats on the baby! she's a cutie...

I know it's hindsight but normal labour brings about a cascade of essential hormones 'designed' to enable the mother and babies complete normal delivery, recovery, lactation and mothering instincts.
    Add to that an anaesthetic ...she doesn't associate the puppy as her own, the chemicals in the GA will also make her woosy for a while.
    I hope nature has kicked in by now and she's loving her baby.

Good luck.
    M

Yes all of what has been said is exactly why I was very disappointed we ended up doing a c-section. I just did not want to question my vets advice, as again, two different vets recommended to do the section rather than let Coco try to deliver naturally.

The puppy was born only 5.9oz, so it seems she probably could have done it on her own! However, the head was rather large, the vet that did the section said because of the fact the pup was breech, that there was a real chance that the head would have got stuck while the body was out and then things could have not gone well for the puppy this way...

Anyways, I am very pleased to update that Coco's instincts are finally kicking in. She is licking her baby to have her go potty now, and is cuddling her, and starting to want to be with her. Coco is a calmer dog now too, she is happy to see me if I have been gone but she's not the hyper little puppy she used to be.

Today the puppy is 11.5oz and is still going strong!
    Alisha
    &
    Coco

Hi Alisha,

I am very glad that Coco is now taking care of her baby, and that puppy is putting on weight nicely. That looks a good weight gain, and don’t worry if the puppy seems to get rather too big: my UnicitÚ was a whopper but despite weighing a huge 2.8 kilos (6 lbs) at eight weeks she ended up a nicely sized adult of around 7.5 kilos, about 16.5 lbs.

To me 5.9 oz. is a fairly small puppy. I’ve only whelped a few more than 100 puppies; the average birth weight has been 213 grams; 7.5 ounces; the smallest 127 grams; 4.5 oz; the largest 318 grams; 11.25 oz. That does not include the litter that had the C section as I didn’t weigh that pup.

Jane

Pup shiny.jpg

Puppy is just over 1lb today! She is a little piggy.

I am trying to come up with a clever name for her to use after my affix, LockeStar, and would like to incorporate one or a combination of these themes:

Being a single puppy
    Power outage - we had to cancel the C-Section due to my clinic losing power on the scheduled day
    Football - Months ago had bought tickets to a Seahawks home game on the day Coco's pup was born, and figures she came into heat 2 months earlier than we expected and decided that I could not go to the game
    Love - after the sire's name "To Sir With Love"
    Western or Card/card game/gambling themed - after Coco who's named "Ace of Spades"

I am having a hard time coming up with anything clever. How do you all name your dogs?
    Alisha
    &
    Coco

That’s good; I imagine that Coco is now perfectly comfortable with her baby.

Naming dogs is SO hard. My first single puppy was UnicitÚ, which means the property of being unique, but Hula was suggested by a friend’s daughter, and it stuck! Bijou was the only ruby bitch in the litter, a little jewel………so she was easy, although “Bijou” is a masculine noun in French so some people thought her name odd. Madam, my first, was named by her breeder: there were a dog and bitch so they were Sir and Madam from the start. Tom named some: CÚdric was his choice, and he chose Raziela while I chose Rascally.

Serena was the only ruby with three black and tans in the litter. My then two year old niece said “I like the bright one; call her Serena”. Flan was so called as I’d given the pups their dinner in a quiche dish and she sat in the dish and licked around the edges, someone said “You’re a little flan” and the name stuck. It then sort of followed that the next bitch we kept would be Crumble.

Vincent was named by his prospective future owner, who then couldn’t take him, so not my choice. Easy Rider was my choice: I’d been listening to the music from the film!

A friend has thought up some brilliant names “After Ours” for the first dog bred with her affix on both sides; not a Cavalier; and who was born around midnight. She called a bitch “Working Girl” then a daughter of hers “Street Walker”; her daughter was then “Courtesan”.

My Swedish friends have followed the “Rose” theme. Serena’s registered name was Jasenil Copper Rose, and it was her they fell in love with as a baby puppy. When they bought her daughter they gave her the pet name Rosie and have chosen a rose theme for many of her descendants. Campanard’s Triple Rose at Sorata was named that as three grandmothers are “roses”: her mother is Magic Rose, her grandmother Purple Rose and Great Great Great grandmother is Copper Rose.

Here we’re limited as the official name must begin with the letter of the alphabet for this year. It’s “I” for 2013 and had Bijou had pups I’d thought of “In the Red” or “Infra Rouge” for a ruby. Oh well.

For yours: how about the Queen of Hearts or Queen of Diamonds? Or even Ace? Solitaire isn’t gambling. I can’t think of anything football other than Own Goal, but that doesn’t have nice connotations! The only names I can think of to do with losing power are not suitable for a blenheim: black out, in the dark etc. I remember the film To Sir with Love, but can’t think of anything connected that would make a nice name.

Good luck!!

Jane

LockeStar Ardour Seule ... ?
    Sheena Stevens

LockeStar Black Out would be funny... because both parents are black and tan! Arour Suele I tried to look up... does it mean the Single Female in French? It is very pretty!

I have thought of LockeStar Bettin' on Love, LockeStar Game On, LockeStar Ace is High, LockeStar Luck of the Draw
    Alisha
    &
    Coco