Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Dry Eye

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Llandrindod Wells
    Posts
    989

    Default Dry Eye

    Help required people : since my old bitch had her eyes scratched by my father's cocker, which caused ulcers, I am having a constant battle with them healing and she also has dry eye confirmed by a Sherman eye test. I have almost exhausted every chemical avenue at my vets and am now looking to a more natural approach. If ANYONE has any tips, things that work for them, suggestions etc I really would appreciate it, as this is a new one for me. PM me or email pantyfedwen@outlook.com if you don't want to post in the "public domain". Really am at my wits end.
    Bridgette Evans
    Svena CKCS

  2. #2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bridgette View Post
    ... If ANYONE has any tips, things that work for them, suggestions etc I really would appreciate it, as this is a new one for me. ...
    We currently are using I-Drop Vet PLUS by I-MED Pharma Inc. Details at http://cavalierhealth.org/dry_eye.htm#Treatment
    Rod Russell

  3. #3

    Default

    I don't know if it's available in the UK: Virbac make a product called Humigel which is a gel that spreads rapidly over the cornea and protects it. Its original use was for during surgery, but it is recommended for use in cases of dry eye. I had it for Raziela when she had the scratch induced ulcer that took ages to heal – not strictly dry eye, but her lachrymal glands required help, and this only needs to be applied twice a day.

    I should say that Raziela’s treatment was lengthy: because her eye was not healing well she had the eyelids stitched for a total of 60 days, although in two lots as the eye was not really healed enough after the first month. At the beginning, after two weeks of no improvement, it was thought that she may need to lose the eye, but as it wasn’t actually getting worse the eyelid stitching method was tried. I did go to a veterinary ophthalmologist at some distance from here for the treatment as it was really out of the league of the local vets.

    Another drug that can sometimes help is Cyclosporine which is sold under various brand names: a friend’s dog (NOT a Cavalier) that had maxillary myosotis had dry eye with that and he had this and steroids – maybe the steroids caused the dry eye – not sure – but it worked well.

    Good luck; it's awful when one of our dogs has a persistent problem.

    Jane

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    West Midlands
    Posts
    2,062
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Janelise View Post
    I don't know if it's available in the UK: Virbac make a product called Humigel which is a gel that spreads rapidly over the cornea and protects it. Its original use was for during surgery, but it is recommended for use in cases of dry eye. I had it for Raziela when she had the scratch induced ulcer that took ages to heal – not strictly dry eye, but her lachrymal glands required help, and this only needs to be applied twice a day.

    I should say that Raziela’s treatment was lengthy: because her eye was not healing well she had the eyelids stitched for a total of 60 days, although in two lots as the eye was not really healed enough after the first month. At the beginning, after two weeks of no improvement, it was thought that she may need to lose the eye, but as it wasn’t actually getting worse the eyelid stitching method was tried. I did go to a veterinary ophthalmologist at some distance from here for the treatment as it was really out of the league of the local vets.

    Another drug that can sometimes help is Cyclosporine which is sold under various brand names: a friend’s dog (NOT a Cavalier) that had maxillary myosotis had dry eye with that and he had this and steroids – maybe the steroids caused the dry eye – not sure – but it worked well.

    Good luck; it's awful when one of our dogs has a persistent problem.

    Jane
    Cyclosporine is efinitely available in the UK. I tried it for Holly P, who has CC/DE, but it did not help. Details are:

    Made from Beauvaria nivea, a soil fungus, the immune-system-suppressing drug cyclosporine was developed to prevent rejection in organ transplant patients. The cyclosporine eye drop formula is used to treat keratoconjunctivitis sicca, or KCS, in dogs. Nearly 40 percent of dogs suffering from eye problems have KCS. Cocker spaniels, Yorkies, Shih Tzus and bulldogs are among the breeds most frequently affected. Also known as dry eye, KCS occurs when an animal's immune system suppresses tear production. The lack of tears causes irritation, browning of the cornea and thick discharge. If untreated, it can result in blindness

    On the recommendation of Christine Heinrich of the Willows Referral Centre I have used Protopic Ointment twice a day, applied direct to the surface of the eye, which works really well in conjunction with numerous applications of Lacrilube each day. Holly has been clear of corneal ulcers for more than 2 years since starting this regime, so although not a natural substance, this dermatological preparation(designed for humans) has been really effective. Protopic is a prescription only preparation, which vets can prescribe using the Veterinary Cascade system and is available from any major pharmacy. One word of warning though for anyone considering using this, it costs somewhere around £60 a tube, but with careful use I can make a tube last for about 3 months.
    Last edited by ByFloSin; 11-07-2013 at 09:36 PM.
    Warmest wishes
    Flo

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Buckinghamshire
    Posts
    35

    Default

    What are you using to keep the eye moist at the moment?

    By far the best we found was lubrithal gel. It's quite cheap and the same thing as viscotears. It's a carbomer gel which lubes much longer than "drops".

    We have a dog born with no lacrimal gland. We were applying this every 30 mins to an hour for 6 months while he grew enough for surgery. Kept his eye very healthy.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Buckinghamshire
    Posts
    35

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RodRussell View Post
    We currently are using I-Drop Vet PLUS by I-MED Pharma Inc. Details at http://cavalierhealth.org/dry_eye.htm#Treatment
    That looks very similar to "Optrex Dry Eye Drops" we have in the UK which some also use for dogs eyes to moisturise the cornea.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •