Thread: Spaying risk with heart murmur

Default Spaying risk with heart murmur

I took my 4 1/2 year old cavalier in for a check prior to having her spayed. The vet said she can hear a slight heart murmur but without getting her scanned you cannot tell how bad it is. It is a new murmur and she is active, rests comfortably and shows no signs of any ill health. I wondered what other people say about the increased risk of having her spayed with a murmur? I am considering it as she has always been 'sad' for a lengthy time around her heats and they can be as close together as 4 1/4 months. If the risk is too great I will keep her entire.

opinions differ, but one cardiologist here prefers that a bitch with a murmur is not spayed. The reasoning is that anaesthetics can do odd things to the body that have knock-on effects.

I have in recent years had most of my older bitches spayed with no problems, but they were still stade 2 by ultrasound, and about 30% of cavaliers at Stade 2 do not have audible murmurs.

There is the possibilty of hormone treatment for bitches who have seasons close together, but that is not something I'd personally want to do, as I'd worry about pyometra.

I think it's a case of balancing up the possible side effects of the op and her current life! If she really does have the canine equivalent of PMT maybe it could help her, but you have to decide as you know her best!

Jane

Thanks. It is a difficult one especially as this time around she has hardly had PMS at all! I really hate them having anaesthetics with any increased risk at all. It might be safest to have her scanned to help me make my choice.

You need as much information as possible to weigh up the risks versus the benefits. 4 and a half is early to get a murmur I suggest if you can you contact the breeder,to find out the family history. If she comes from a line of long livers that have murmurs early it's probably best to spay her now to avoid a pyo or surgery later in life. I note you are in glos a trip to Mark Patterson (cardiologist) and his advice would be best IMO.
    Bridgette Evans
    Svena CKCS

I would agree with Bridgette. See a Cardiologist and take his advice. He/she is the expert.
    Elspeth